A Tabletop Roleplaying Blog

Tales from Rhovanion – Session #7

Tales From Rhovanion - Home PageThis is a write-up of the seventh session of our The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild campaign. So far the adventure has been based on the first part of Studio 9′s Caran Gaur campaign (published in the free French RPG Magazine Le Maraudeur) but in this session I transition to material primarily from A Darkness in the Marshes, one of the adventures published in Cubicle 7’s Tales from Wilderland. John H played Malaric, Emma S played Grunehild and Ben C played Grimald. This session is from back in October 2013.


Chapter I, Part VII

For a long while, the Fellowship remained hidden up in the trees. Eventually, they climbed down and tried to sneak around the bandit’s positions, but they were quickly spotted.

Arrows flew from every direction and the seven companions scrambled to avoid being hit. A fierce skirmish ensued. At first, the Fellowship was hard pressed, but then Malaric, Grunehild and Radegund got in amongst the bandits and the tide quickly turned. The surviving bandits soon retreated.

The brave company was tired and wounded after the skirmish but, hoping to avoid further conflict, they pressed on through the bandit’s territory. Soon, Garivald and Frael could go no further and they were forced to stop and rest. Garivald in particular was badly injured and it became clear that he could not continue.

After some debate, Radegund reluctantly volunteered to stay with the huntsman and get him back to safety. His wounds were too severe for him to make it back unaided.

And so the company split. The next morning, Malaric, Grunehild, Grimald, Frael and Gerlind said their farewells and departed southwards after the Wolf Pack, while Radegund and Garivald remained behind, hoping to make their way back northward by skirting around the forest to the west.

By the end of the seventh day, the remaining members of the company reached the edge of the Wolfswood. The Wolf Pack’s trail led them down from the forested highlands into the Gladden Fields; a water-logged marshland, where the River Gladden spilled into the River Anduin.

For the next couple of days, the company followed the Wolf Pack deeper and deeper into the marshes.

On the tenth day, a thick mist descended and everything was enveloped in grey. Suddenly, there were Wolf-shapes out in the fog, and then something leapt and dragged Frael down.

“Over here! Stay close!” Malaric commanded, organising the others into a defensive circle and driving the Wolves back. The goatherd was clawed and bitten but alive. He shakily got to his feet and joined the defensive circle. Then the Wolves came at them again.

For a short while, the Wolves tested them but, Grimald injured one and Grunehild slew a second. The Pack was discouraged and withdrew back into the mist. They did not return.

The following day, the company headed on again. They followed the Wolves towards a huge outcrop of black rock, which loomed through the mist and towered over the marsh. As the day wore on, they drew ever nearer to it, and finally they reached its base. This was the Dwimmerhorn, an ancient stronghold of the Enemy, and clearly the Wolf Pack’s destination.

A single path wound up the rock to a crudely built fortress at its top. If the fortress were occupied, there was little hope of approaching it that way without being spotted.

Cautiously the Fellowship searched around the base for another way up. Though there were cracks and ledges, the rock-face was almost sheer, but they eventually found a spot where the climb seemed possible. Malaric and Grimald decided to make the attempt.

The climb was treacherous and, more than once, the two came close to falling but somehow they made it to the top.

The fortress contained many Orcs, a cluster of ramshackle buildings and a temple of polished black stone with narrow windows that flared with a sickly greenish luminescence. A sense of evil emanated from within.

Having seen what they had seen, Malaric and Grimald climbed back down to the others. But, on the way, a ledge crumbled under Grimald and the clatter of falling stones drew attention from above. A horn sounded from within the fortress and the gates opened. A great number of Orcs marched out to search for them.

The Fellowship fled.

They scrambled through the marsh, trying to escape. They hid amongst the reeds and pools, and then force marched eastward towards the River Anduin.

More than once, Orc patrols came close to catching them but, after maintaining a hard pace throughout the night, they reached the western bank of the great river.

They were all exhausted but the sounds of pursuit were still close behind, so they attempted a crossing. The river swept them far downstream, and Frael would have been lost entirely if not for Malaric’s strong swimming, but somehow everyone eventually reached the eastern bank.

They regrouped and briefly rested, before heading north-eastward, towards the Woodman town of Rhosgobel. Four days later, worn and weary, they arrived at its gates.


MALARIC – Hope: 10 of 13, Shadow: 0, Endurance: 5 of 29END + Weary, Fatigue: 18 (incl. 0 Journey Fatigue);
GRUNEHILD – Hope: 13 of 13, Shadow: 0, Endurance: 3 of 29END + Weary, Fatigue: 18 (incl. 0 Journey Fatigue);
GRIMALD – Hope: 10 of 14, Shadow: 0, Endurance: 4 of 24END + Weary + Wounded, Fatigue: 14 (incl. 0 Journey Fatigue).]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s